Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win


After Windows 10 upgrade, Internet Explorer unable to open URL's doing a Google Search

Posted on 2016-07-27
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2016-08-29
I have a computer that doesn't seem to want to open IE 11 URL's from Google searches after Windows 10 was upgraded. I get the error:  Internal Error: Missing Template ERR_Connect_Fail

Has anyone seen this? I tried making Edge the default browser, it didn't help.
I have verified that IE 11 has all of the defaults.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE 11 from Control panel, add/remove programs.
Question by:Patrick Doman
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2

Author Comment

by:Patrick Doman
ID: 41732298
I was able to change the search engine to Bing. But having Google.com as the home page still wouldn't work.

I changed the home page to Bing.com and it searches fine.
I don't see any Google search items in the browser as far as addons and none in the add/remove programs area.

For now I will just use Bing.com but I know the customer wants to use Google.com as his home page instead.
LVL 83

Expert Comment

by:David Johnson, CD, MVP
ID: 41732305
you first have to go to 'google.com' you can now add that as a search provider in edge.
for ie11
add more search providers or go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/iegallery and add google search

Author Comment

by:Patrick Doman
ID: 41732316
That did not work. I click on Google to add the search back into the browser. I then change my home page back to Google.com

When I search for anything under Google search I get the results. When I click on the link in the search result, nothing happens then I get that error message noted above after about 30 seconds.
Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

LVL 83

Expert Comment

by:David Johnson, CD, MVP
ID: 41732383
try starting internet explorer with no addons.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -extoff
change the page to google.com and see if you can click on a link from a google search.
if it works then check your addons and also check the machine for malware with malwarebytes
LVL 50

Expert Comment

ID: 41733485

Author Comment

by:Patrick Doman
ID: 41734037
No. Have a Meraki Firewall. If I change the Home page and search engine to Bing and we search websites on that, when I click the URL's it works fine.

Seems to be google search related
LVL 50

Accepted Solution

jcimarron earned 2000 total points (awarded by participants)
ID: 41735286
Did you read
https://mangolassi.it/topic/4615/what-does-internal-error-missing-template-err_connect_fail-mean/38  ?
Several of the people on that site use Meraki.
LVL 50

Expert Comment

ID: 41759070
The link I posted suggested that Meraki be turned off.  There was no indication that OP tried that.

Author Comment

by:Patrick Doman
ID: 41775066
The disable of web filtering fixed the issue

Featured Post

Tech or Treat! - Giveaway

Submit an article about your scariest tech experience—and the solution—and you’ll be automatically entered to win one of 4 fantastic tech gadgets.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A high-level exploration of how our ever-increasing access to information has changed the way we do our jobs.
Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
This tutorial gives a high-level tour of the interface of Marketo (a marketing automation tool to help businesses track and engage prospective customers and drive them to purchase). You will see the main areas including Marketing Activities, Design …
This Micro Tutorial will demonstrate how to add subdomains to your content reports. This can be very importing in having a site with multiple subdomains.
Suggested Courses

604 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question