Web Report Builder
Posted on 2016-07-28
I am trying to create a web based report builder using html5/classic asp as front end and MS SQL Server as backend.
Why am I doing this?
My company gets lots of structured data in ETL format. We need to convert them in a friendly format & use it for reporting needs. I can use SQL Server Reporting services to build my report but template will change for every report.
Challenges I can see:
1. There are lot of custom aggregates that are involved. Ex: in a report, I need to display a row called "Product A" which will be a direct sum value from input file and next row will be "Product B" which will be sum of Product A and Product C. So On the fly aggregate builder is required.
2. Columns may change for every input file. First few may be labels and last few may be metrics / numbers.
What am i trying to do?
1. Create a html 5 page & connect it to a SQL db.
2. Post all input files (excel/csv) in a folder.
3. Use SQL openrowset from html5/classic asp to import "Required" files and create on the fly temp table(inputfiles_temp).
4. Just bring the headers of the temp table & assign corresponding definition (Ex: Col1 = Label, Col10 = Number) etc
5. Since the data is in ETL format, harmonization is also required.
CustomerLevel1 CustomerLevel2 OrganizationLevel1 OrganizationLevel2 ProductLevel1 Shipments
The above should be harmonized into
CustomerLevel1 OrganizationLevel1 ProductLevel1 Shipments
CustomerLevel1 OrganizationLevel2 ProductLevel1 Shipments
CustomerLevel2 Organizationlevel1 ProductLevel1 Shipments
CustomerLevel2 Organizationlevel2 ProductLevel1 Shipments
so, once the temp table is created, the above cross-tab should also be created and the output should be saved in another temp table(processing_temp).
Now, we need to look at aggregates, metrics etc (outside of the report builder) and just call the required fields & create more or less like a pivot table output from the above temp table & store the final SQL again as a temp table(output_Temp).
Can someone guide me by giving me a logic to get this done from html5/ classic asp please?