Solved

Unable to update pre-migration meeting requests after migration to Office 365

Posted on 2016-08-16
4
42 Views
Last Modified: 2016-09-04
We recently migrated from Exchange 2010 to Office 365.  At the same time, we changed our naming structure from last name, first name to first name, last name.

The naming change may have been more significant than the migration to 365.  

My problem is this:  I have staff who have meeting requests with internal and external people from before migration to 365.  While the meeting requests migrated successfully, the meeting owner's ability to edit or change the meeting has been lost.  Even though the account owner's email address is the same, the name order change may have severed the relationship to the object.

When the person tries to update a meeting, he gets the following NDR:
 
            Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
 
                  Subject:      In-Person Meeting
                  Sent: 8/15/2016 3:36 PM
 
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
 
      Person01 on 8/15/2016 3:36 PM
            This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user. Error is [0x80070005-0x0004dc-0x000524].
 
      Person02 on 8/15/2016 3:36 PM
            This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user. Error is [0x80070005-0x0004dc-0x000524].

The NDR is implying that the very person who sent the original meeting request no longer has permission to update his meeting request.  I attribute this to both the name order change and the migration from 2010 to 365.  

I'd appreciate any suggestions for this issue.
0
Comment
Question by:APPA_IT_Staff
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 39

Expert Comment

by:Adam Brown
ID: 41758073
This happens when the Legacy Exchange DN is not added to the mailboxes in Office 365 during the migration. How did you complete the migration process?
0
 

Author Comment

by:APPA_IT_Staff
ID: 41758114
I didn't perform it personally, but there were complications as we started out as a ProPlus 365 customer first - and then upgraded to enterprise.  This turned out to be messy requiring deleting and re-adding the users on the 365 side.  Then, when we decommissioned the Exchange server (properly instead of just turning it off) again there was a deletion and re-addition and copying over of the Exchange attributes (because we were already syncing the AD objects).  I may not be explaining it well, since I only have a limited understanding of the process, but I know that it had bumps in the road either because the path is inherently bumpy - or we made bad choices.
0
 
LVL 39

Accepted Solution

by:
Adam Brown earned 500 total points (awarded by participants)
ID: 41758179
Ok. Check each of the accounts' email addresses. If there is no x.500 address listed, that is the root of your problem with the meeting permissions. X.500 addresses are used by Exchange for communication on the back-end (between exchange servers) rather than the typical email address, and all calendar events are written with an ACL that includes the sender's x.500 address as the owner and the recipient's x500 as a secondary.

If the Exchange server was decommissioned by removing all exchange attributes from the user accounts, the attribute that holds the LegacyExchangeDN value (which translates into the x.500 address) is probably gone, but check to see if it's still there on your user accounts. If it is still there, add the whole string to the proxyAddresses attribute in a test case using this format:
X500:<legacyexchangedn>

Open in new window



That should reconnect the permissions as needed. However, if the legacyexchangeDN is not on any of the accounts, you won't be able to recover easily, since that value is randomly generated at mailbox creation time.
1
 
LVL 39

Expert Comment

by:Adam Brown
ID: 41783525
User upvoted, but no further response to determine if this resolved the issue. Generally, though, this issue is caused by missing x.500 addresses.
0

Featured Post

U.S. Department of Agriculture and Acronis Access

With the new era of mobile computing, smartphones and tablets, wireless communications and cloud services, the USDA sought to take advantage of a mobilized workforce and the blurring lines between personal and corporate computing resources.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
When you have clients or friends from around the world, it becomes a challenge to arrange a meeting or effectively manage your time. This is where Outlook's capability to show 2 time zones in one calendar comes in handy.
This lesson covers basic error handling code in Microsoft Excel using VBA. This is the first lesson in a 3-part series that uses code to loop through an Excel spreadsheet in VBA and then fix errors, taking advantage of error handling code. This l…
In this video I am going to show you how to back up and restore Office 365 mailboxes using CodeTwo Backup for Office 365. Learn more about the tool used in this video here: http://www.codetwo.com/backup-for-office-365/ (http://www.codetwo.com/ba…

832 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question