Email from one company not arriving

I switched a client company to Rackspace email last week, but my client company, smithfoods.com, does not receive email from one particular company, easyreporting.com (both names fictitious).  The domain registrar is Network Solutions.  The previous email provider was EarthLink for business.  It's been a full week since I changed the MX records, so it should have propagated by now.

I spoke with tech support at easyreporting.com, the guy that runs the Exchange server, and he says when they send mail to any address at smithfoods.com, it ends up being directed to EarthLink, the previous email provider, instead of Rackspace, the current email provider.  So it seems there is root name server on the internet that has not been updated - at least that's my best guess.  He sent from his own computer, which has never sent to smithfoods.com before.  I've seen before where the auto-saved address in Outlook will sometimes remember the old settings, but that can't be the case in this scenario.

So my questions are:
1- Is there a way to force a re-propagation of the MX records?  
2- Am I off-base in my assumptions and there might be something else causing this?
3- Can anyone offer a idea of what else might be causing this.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
CTSLAAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Adam BrownSr Solutions ArchitectCommented:
It's possible, if your client regularly deals with the other company, that they have an Exchange send connector configured to send messages directly to earthlink for your environment. It's also possible that the Exchange server is still caching the MX record for your client's domain. They could have their own MX records defined for you in their DNS server. There are a lot of things that could cause the problems you've described. Suffice to say, though, that if this other company can't send mail to you and all others can, it's a problem with their mail server and not yours. The other admin will need to troubleshoot the issue to resolve it. There's not much you can do on your end to fix their server.

If you like, you can ask him to check his send connectors for anything sending to your domain, or have him run ipconfig /flushdns on the exchange servers. Without access to their network, it's difficult to actually determine or troubleshoot the issue, and it would be even more complicated to give recommendations to you, then for you to give them to him.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
CTSLAAuthor Commented:
Adam, thank you for the ideas.  I'll offer these suggestions to the other tech tomorrow and will update this post when something changes.
CTSLAAuthor Commented:
Adam,
the company that we could not receive emails, from, easyreporting.com, also has their domain registered with Network Solutions, but their DNS is hosted by Deltacom, who was bought out by EarthLink for business.  I had several conversation with Easy Reporting's Exchange Server tech, who grudgingly agreed to bring the problem to EarthLink after I explained the possible issues (that you pointed out) and the fact that it was almost certainly an issue with his server settings or the DNS servers he was using.

It turns out, this company, easyreporting.com, did not use EarthLink's DNS servers, and instead stayed with Deltacom's DNS.  Since I'm not an EarthLink customer, they would not deal with me directly, but the tech told me it was an EarthLink issue, that they didn't have something set up right.  But I'm guessing it is more likely that Deltacom's DNS servers were no longer being updated, as EarthLink probably asked Deltacom customers to switch to their DNS servers at the time of the buyout.  That's just my guess.  The tech told me EarthLink fixed the issue without explaining exactly what it was, but I'm guessing he probably just changed his DNS servers to EarthLink instead of the outdated Deltacom DNS servers.  

Whatever it was - it is now resolved.  Thank you for your assistance.  Without it, I wouldn't have known to apply pressure to Easy Reporting to get THEIR problem resolved.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Email Servers

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.