?
Solved

Every time I log onto an SBS 2008 box I get a scheduler error?

Posted on 2016-08-18
6
Medium Priority
?
66 Views
Last Modified: 2016-08-24
When I log onto one of the SBS 2008 boxes I manage I get a scheduler error like this:

Scheduler error message when logged on.
The details of the error as follows:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:      APPCRASH
  Application Name:      taskeng.exe
  Application Version:      6.0.6002.18342
  Application Timestamp:      4cd34898
  Fault Module Name:      ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:      6.0.6002.19623
  Fault Module Timestamp:      56ec4641
  Exception Code:      c000071b
  Exception Offset:      000000000007d645
  OS Version:      6.0.6002.2.2.0.305.9
  Locale ID:      2057
  Additional Information 1:      8975
  Additional Information 2:      803d51a048d13ed597ff94fe6ba3464e
  Additional Information 3:      8975
  Additional Information 4:      803d51a048d13ed597ff94fe6ba3464e

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Any help appreciated.
0
Comment
Question by:Siv
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 36

Expert Comment

by:Kimputer
ID: 41760691
Try to run
sfc /scannow (from admin cmd box)

If nothing reveals to be corrupt, then proceed to check ALL the jobs (keep pressing the last history tab, and check for errors). The one that keeps throwing errors might cause it. Remove or recreate the job.
Please note, there might be up to 100 of jobs to plow through (dig through all the sub categories). Errors in the Application log might point you faster to the scheduled job in question.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Siv
ID: 41760749
Kimputer,

I have done a bit more research in the event viewer on the server that's affected and every time I get the task scheduler error I also get this error at the same moment:

Certificate Services Client Provider pautoenr.dll raised an exception. Exception code 3221225477.

I googled that error and it seems to be something to do with a dud certificate. However before I raised this error here I had done some research on the scheduler error and the fix seemed to be to remove any expired certificates which I did yesterday.  I did that by opening the "certificate authority" application in Admin tools and revoked all expired certificates until there were only current certificates available.

I then waited to see if the error was gone, but again the error came up this morning when a user logged onto the server to change the backup drive so it is still present after clearing out the out of date certificates.

Given this extra information, do you think I still need to run sfc /scannow or is it more specific to the certificates?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Siv earned 0 total points
ID: 41760782
Googling further I found this blog which seems to cover the issue I am having and has a detailed step by step procedure which I have followed up to step 9 (can't do step 9 [reboot]) as there are too many staff working on the server at the moment) so I will continue after 7pm tonight when the users are out of the system and I will report back tomorrow

Resolving “PAUTOENR.DLL raised an exception” on David Moisan's IT Blog

Hopefully this may be the fix as it does seem to match the symptoms I am getting.
0
Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
LVL 36

Expert Comment

by:Kimputer
ID: 41760802
Yes I suspect you need those reboots indeed.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Siv
ID: 41762568
I completed the procedure last night and everything seems to be working properly this morning so full marks to David Moisan who's procedure did the business. I will close this question off as it does appear to be fixed.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Siv
ID: 41768455
In the end it was my own research that located the fix. I am thankful to Kimputer for answering my call though.
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

You might have come across a situation when you have Exchange 2013 server in two different sites (Production and DR). After adding the Database copy in ECP console it displays Database copy status unknown for the DR exchange server. Issue is strange…
Resolving an irritating Remote Desktop connection that stops your saved credentials from being used.
To efficiently enable the rotation of USB drives for backups, storage pools need to be created. This way no matter which USB drive is installed, the backups will successfully write without any administrative intervention. Multiple USB devices need t…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to join and promote the first Windows Server 2012 domain controller into an Active Directory environment running on Windows Server 2008. Determine the location of the FSMO roles by lo…
Suggested Courses

801 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question