Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Patrick Doman
Patrick DomanFlag for United States of America

asked on

SBS 2011 Server won't allow clients to connect

Windows Machines in a SBS 2011 network can't seem to connect to the Exchange. When we open outlook we are prompted for username and password. Don't think anything changed with the server. Running Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 14

I replaced the firewall last night, things were fine.
I looked this morning, people are able to login using OWA but just not with outlook.

I tried setting up a new profile for a user, it does not find the account/server. Just keeps searching over and over

Event log errors:

Event ID: 12016 MSExchangeTransport
There is no valid SMTP Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificate for the FQDN of <servername.domainname.local> The existing certificate for that FQDN has expired. The continued use of that FQDN will cause mail flow problems. A new certificate that contains the FQDN of <servername.domainname.local> should be installed on this server as soon as possible. You can create a new certificate by using the New-ExchangeCertificate task

Event ID: 12015   MSExchangeTransport
Thumbprint : ojpoj23po54j23p4oj32pj2     An internal transport certificate expired.

These warnings and errors have been coming up in the event logs for a long time.
I believe they are related to the Exchange SSL Certificate including the host name of the server which is no longer valid / supported.


Again, the mail is flowing to OWA.
I can hit https://mail.companyname.com/owa just fine. All mail is being delivered. Just can't use Outlook to connect.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of bas2754
bas2754
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of Patrick Doman

ASKER

I checked the services. They are all looking good.

The DHCP Server wasn't happy.
That was stopped

Google Update Service is stopped
Microsoft .Net Framework NGen v4.0 is stopped (x86) is stopped
Microsoft .Net Framework NGen v4.0 is stopped (x64)  is stopped


I would usually think this is a problem with IIS.
An interesting item I noticed when setting up a brand new profile for a user is that when it prompts him for his login, it's prompting him for his full email address as the username versus the domain and username only for the domain.

Not sure if some how the authentication changed???

I am searching for anything else out of the ordinary.
2016-08-28_20h25_14.png
Yesterday, I put a Fortigate 100D in and since that point, I have noticed little intricacies on the network that have changed.

The outlook thing... slowness logging in..... DHCP (crud)

The DHCP server on the Fortgate was enabled. I know I turned it off, but there it is enabled.

The SBS server has been performing the DHCP since its inception.
I think that was the issue. May even be causing the outlook to prompt for credentials.....
I am rebooting some computers to see if the performance issues are fixed.
Thank you for reminding me to check the simple things.
A service that should be started in this case like the DHCP Server had me checking the firewall (new) installed yesterday and there it was. The DHCP service on the Fortigate was running.

Things appear to be ok now.