Recently I received a text from a person I recognized but who was not in my contacts. Despite the fact they were not in my contacts, their full name was in the body of the text along with a blank avatar and the words "Follow locations" or "Follow local", I can't remember eactly.
Within an hour after receiving and deleting that text I received a text from the same person saying, "why are you tracking me?"
At this point I'm trying to figure out all the possiblities of what's going on. Some of my questions are:
1) Can such a text actually initiate tracking in either direction?
2) Is it possible the text would give the sender the ability to track my phone rather than theirs?
3) If tracking was actually initiated, how could the tracking be terminated in either direction?
4) If I disabled the GPS functionality on my phone, would that prohibit tracking of my phone?
5) If my phone was tracking the phone that texted me, how would that user be aware of such a thing?
In other words, if somebody installed an app on the sender's phone without them knowing, how would that ultimately manifest to the user of that phone?
I decided to wipe my phone and reinstall the factory image/settings just in case something was installed. However, I'm wondering if by accepting the text to "follow" the sender's phone, my number is registered to follow regardless of what I do to my phone.
Thanks in advance.