Windows 10 and GPO only applies when "Authenticated Users" is added to Security filtering
Posted on 2016-09-09
So I don't know if I should chalk this up to a "Feature" in windows 10 but I've been having problems with GPO only applying randomly or not at all to users since we started rolling out windows 10. This does not happen with windows 7 or below or 2008. Has anyone else had this problem? Did Microsoft change the way filters are applied through GPO with windows 10? I updated to the latest windows 10 GPOs thinking mine were outdated and it didn't help til I added that. is this a new "Best Practices" that Microsoft recently put in place and want you to do WMI filtering instead, which I have no clue how to do, or is this just flat out a bug? All my AD replications and every test I ran have come back as good. Is there any other underlying cause that could cause this kind of issue?
The one policy we had was filtered to specific users. After hours of troubleshooting, because it was only happening on 1 of several machines that the user logged into it seemed all to point to a user issue. I was able to replicated the issue with another user I created but not with any other active user including mine. I ran gpupdate several times it always came back with successful, but when I ran gpresult the offending policy wasn't there. like it was ignored completely and not in the folder. I thought some how it got unlinked, checked that. Everything seemed fine, the users who it was filtered to had rights to it. it worked on other computers on the network. So on a hunch I saw all policies that worked had one thing in common, they were only applied to Authenticated users. So while not removing the old settings, I added that in and gpupdate /force. Right away the GPO applied and everything was well, multiple log outs and log in on the computer I tested worked.