I would like to create a home server which will allow me to do the following;
1. Allow me to access all my files, videos, music, photo's etc over the internet from all devices - note my devices, ipad, phone etc. will be connected to my wireless home internet connection most of the time but may also be connected to other wireless networks at times.
2. Access my Plex server and be able to view and play all media remotely using other devices.
3. Save files (e.g. word docs) from other devices to the server remotely
4. Download media using other devices (from remote locations) but save them to my home server so they can then be accessed remotely using Plex
5. Gain access to the laptop acting at the home server - Not essential but would be a nice to have
My plan so far
Use an old laptop to build a home server - this will be on 24/7 and will always be connected to the internet
The only device connected to my router via an ethernet cable will be the laptop (home server).
Does anyone have any tutorials/step by step guides?