Here is the setup:
Server = HP Proliant 350 G6 + SBS 2011
RAID 1 = 2 x 300GB
Drive is split into 2 logical drives: C: & D:
C: for OS,
D: for files & Exchange database + SQL database
Both C: & D: are running out of space
Backup Exec 2012 in use: Full daily backup to tape.
Proposed solution: Add a 2nd RAID (probably 4x146GB in RAID 10) & migrate the whole D: to the new drive; delete the old D: partition, expand the C: partition to use the freed space on the original RAID
Question: How do I go about "migrating" the D: drive from one RAID to another, keeping in mind that Exchange & SQL are in use?
- Should I use Backup Exec, and what would be the steps?
- Should I use a 3rd party tool like CloneZilla
- I also have a legal copy of Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0. Is this a better tool?
You will need to
1) Add additional drives that are the same size/ speed as the currently installed ones, you can use bigger but these will be reduced to match the size of the current disks due to the way RAID functions
2) Use HP Array Configuration Utility to expand the array
3) Expand your Data partition (not OS)
4) If your OS partition is running out of space you can move the page file to the data drive
Should be able to find instructions for all of these with a google search but if you need specific instructions I can help with live support.