Excel scrolling very slow

I have a workbook I use every day.  Last night I noticed that scrolling using the arrow keys, it goes very slowly.  It goes to the next cell, then there is a delay before going to the next cell.  This does not happen in any of my other workbooks.
rrhandle8Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

bigeven2002Commented:
Hello,
Which version of Excel are you using?
Is the scrolling latency happening on just the one workbook or any workbook?
Is the workbook in classic or native format?
Does the workbook use any macros?
If you use Tab to go to the adjacent cell, does it have latency like the arrow keys?
Do you have any other excel files open at the same time?
Did the latency just start?  Have you rebooted the computer to see if it persists?
rrhandle8Author Commented:
Which version of Excel are you using?
2010 but this workbook is 2003
Is the scrolling latency happening on just the one workbook or any workbook?
Just the one
Is the workbook in classic or native format?
Please explain the difference
Does the workbook use any macros?
Yes. All my workbooks contain macros
If you use Tab to go to the adjacent cell, does it have latency like the arrow keys?
Yes. Acts just like the arrow keys
Do you have any other excel files open at the same time?
Yes and they all work just fine
Did the latency just start?  Have you rebooted the computer to see if it persists?
 Started last night. Rebooted the computer a few times and also did the "Open and Repair"

Additional note: A week ago I made a back-up of the workbook.  I opened the back-up this evening, and the arrow keys work fine.  I would go back to using the backup, but the workbook gets appended with new information every night.
bigeven2002Commented:
Ok thanks for the update.  For Classic vs native, is the workbook in xls or xlsm format?  Since the work book worked fine last week, how many rows of data are in the work book currently?
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

rrhandle8Author Commented:
Tens of thousands
rrhandle8Author Commented:
It is .xls. I converted to .xlsm.  Still does not work.  Previous ones in the .xls format work fine.
bigeven2002Commented:
OK the old xls format can only handle up to 65000 rows, so as you approach that limit, there will be a performance impact as you are seeing.

Try this, create a brand new blank XLSM file, and then copy over the rows to the new file say 1000 at a time.  When you reach 10000, save and close the file, reopen to see if performance is normal, if so, continue with the next 1000 until reaching 20000, repeat.  If the text has any formatting, be sure to paste without the formatting.

If performance stays normal throughout the entire copy process then copy over the macros, save, close and reopen.  Is performance maintained?

Also, is your Office 2010 up to date with that latest service pack and updates?

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
rrhandle8Author Commented:
I was planning to do what you recommended.  Knowing there were a lot of Defined Names in the workbook, I was wondering how I would move these to the new workbook.  I opened "Manage Names" to see what was all there.  To my surprise, there were hundreds of Defined Names that all started with "ExternalData_".  See image. I do not know where they came from, but I am sure some macro is creating them.  After I deleted all of them, saved, closed and reopened the workbook, everything is working just fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2016-09-24_9-50-35.png
rrhandle8Author Commented:
bigeven2002 pointed me in the right direction.
bigeven2002Commented:
OK great!  Glad I could help!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Excel

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.