Solved

External Autodiscover error Exchange 2010

Posted on 2016-10-04
5
84 Views
Last Modified: 2016-10-13
I have been working with Microsoft to set up a Federation Trust between my company's 4 domains. 2 are Exchange 2010 hosted on-premise, and 2 are seperate tennants in Exchange 365. First they directed me to set up a Hybrid configuration, which did nothing but waste time. After escalating my request, a tech tested everything internally (which I had set up properly from the start), and on the 365 side, only to tell me there was an issue that they couldn't pinpoint and that I should contact the Exchange 2010 support team. I'd rather try with you all first, so here goes:

When I run the Outlook Connectivity test on testconnectivity.microsoft.com I am getting the following errors:

*Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
       The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.
   >Validating the certificate name.
       Certificate name validation failed.
      >Host name mydomain.com doesn't match any name found on the server certificate CN=css.mydomain.com

*Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.mydomain.com:443/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml
       Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
   > Host autodiscover.mydomain.com couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent

*Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
   >Attempting to resolve the host name server.mydomain.com in DNS.
      >The host name couldn't be resolved.

In my public DNS, I've just added autodiscover.mydomain.com as an A record, and it is pointing to the same server as my OWA (which works) record (1.2.3.4 for this example).

For myself, this is a needle in a haystack kind of problem. I've added the following records in my public DNS:

- autodiscover.mydomain.com IN A 1.2.3.4
- autodiscover IN CNAME 1.2.3.4
-_autodiscover._tcp IN SVR 0 443 server.mydomain.com

Using mxtoolbox.com, the CNAME returns autodiscover.mydomain.com  as connected and the IP as 1.2.3.4.

Does anyone see something tragically wrong with what I've done (obviously I've made a mess of this, but please humour me....)?
0
Comment
Question by:Philip Thomas
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 16

Accepted Solution

by:
Todd Nelson earned 500 total points
ID: 41829188
Connectivity Test...
If you are concerned about the first error in the ExRCA.com test where it errors on the root domain name (mydomain.com) I wouldn't worry about it and it can be disregarded as a red herring.

Autodiscover DNS Records...
IMO, you either use an CNAME record (recommended) or an A record for autodiscover.

The CNAME should be using you OWA FQDN as the target, not an IP address.

Also, I haven't used or needed an SRV record for autodiscover in a long time.  I look at it as a helper if the CNAME isn't working.

Those are my thoughts.
1
 

Author Comment

by:Philip Thomas
ID: 41829714
Thank you Todd for the help, I've modified my CNAME as you've suggested, hopefully I'll get the results I'm after very soon!
0
 

Author Comment

by:Philip Thomas
ID: 41830933
Well...that did it! Thank you for your help, Todd, it is greatly appreciated!
0
 
LVL 16

Expert Comment

by:Todd Nelson
ID: 41830962
You are most welcome.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Philip Thomas
ID: 41842679
Hi Todd, I've got another question about this topic. 3 of my 4 companies connect to the Federation Trust. My 4th company has an odd setup I've never seen before and I'm hoping you can help me understand what they've done;

There are 2 domain names of interest: domain.com and domainName.com

The email address is @domainName.com
OWA is accessed using mail.domain.com

Each domains' DNS is hosted by GoDaddy, and all the information pointing to our firewall is on the domain.com side.
On the domainName.com side, all the email records are pointing to GoDaddy's servers, which we do not use at all. There are 2 MX records which point the emails to domainName.cominbound10.mxlogic.net (spam filter).

I'm sure this is another DNS issue, but if you would have any insight as to what I should be looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
0

Featured Post

Revamp Your Training Process

Drastically shorten your training time with WalkMe's advanced online training solution that Guides your trainees to action.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
Check out this step-by-step guide for using the newly updated Experts Exchange mobile app—released on May 30.
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…
Suggested Courses

635 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question