Building a MSA database to read an input file, performs a calculation, creates a report & outputs a prn file from selected report data
Posted on 2016-10-05
Our company wants to use a VBA module in Microsoft Access 2016 to do the following:
1) Read in an excel file with data that will be used to perform a calculation
2) Create a report that checks the calculated results for outliers that fall outside of a lower & upper set of boundaries for quality purposes (we would like to build this in as a modifiable setting that can be changed by the user but are willing to make these settings predefined within the VBA code)
3) Output a .prn file that contains the results of the calculation
My idea is to do the following:
1) Create a form within a database with a simple interface for loading the input file (and creating objects/input fields for setting the lower/upper boundaries for the report)
2) Create a report template to meet the specifications needed and to handle populating the additional fields that will be computed
3) Use the values calculated in the report to create a prn output file that will have the required data populated once the report is ran
It would help me a lot to get a general idea of the steps that I should use to complete this task.
I've attached an excel file that contains these sheets:
1) Sample input sheet (Input_File)
2) Sample MSA report (Report)
3) Sample output file (Output_File)
I will award full points to someone who provides useful insight on my question. Thanks in advance!