- Network - 3 locations, Server 2012R2 with 8-10 file shares per server (same shares replicated amongst 3 servers using DFS).
- plenty of resources on servers - 1 virtual, the other 2 physical
- Approx 1.3 TB with literally thousands upon thousands of folders within shares.
- 90% of client machines are Mac running OS X El Capitan or Sierra
- symptoms below are reported often but not all the time, occur regardless of location or time of day, regardless of which Mac used
- symptoms below do not occur on Windows laptops in same environment
- slow on the Connect to server (SMB share) to get username/password prompt
- slow to authenticate once username/password entered
- once authenticated, slow to list contents of directories with many files/folders
(bandwidth to server tested ok during these issues)
Actions taken over the last month:
- re-enabled SMB 2/3, disabled SMB 1 (SMB 2/3 disabled early in 2014 on initial deployment due to other issues)
- added Smb2CreditsMin (set to 768) and Smb2CreditsMax (set to 16384) to registry on "main" server for testing
- bound Mac to AD
Have tested this in another, much smaller Windows network with exact same issues.
Nothing tried above has made marked improvement.
Open to suggestions.