I've been contemplating moving all my VMware server VMs to Microsoft HyperV. Here is my thoughts. Let me know if this will work.
2 - HP Gen8 server hosts running VMware 5.5
1 - HP SAN connected to network switch
6 - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs.
3 - running on server host #1
3 - running on server host #2
VMDKs located on SAN
1. vMotion all VMs to server host #1
2. Format and install Microsoft Server 2016 on server host #2
3. Install HyperV role
4. Attach Windows Server 2016 (server host #2) to SAN
(THIS IS THE PART I'M NOT SURE I CAN DO SINCE THE SAN IS USED ON THE VMWARE HOSTS)
(CAN I ATTACH A MICROSOFT SERVER TO A SAN USED FOR VMWARE?)
5. Provided I can attach server host #2 to the SAN - run Microsoft's VMware to HyperV conversion tool on all 6 VMs to bring them into the HyperV environment.
6. Once all VMware VMs are converted and running on server host #2 - format and install Microsoft Server 2016 on server host #1
7. Install HyperV role
8. Attach Windows Server 2016 (server host #1) to SAN
9. Move 3 servers to server host #1 to balance load
Last - are there any Microsoft licensing issues I need to be aware of? I have purchased Microsoft Datacenter 2016 Software Assurance.