Adding a 2nd Domain (DC2) Controller and Retiring (DC1)...
Posted on 2016-11-11
Future Scenario to Be Realistic in 2 weekends:
1. Current Active Directory DC1 (10.0.0.5) is 5 years old and customer wants to upgrade hardware.
2. Same current 5yr old hardware is DC1(10.0.0.5) using Windows 2012 Server with the latest updates.
3. Customer wants to upgrade their current hardware (DC1) and software to Windows 2012 R2.
4. Will Install Windows 2012 R2 on new hardware, promote to a DC2 (10.0.0.6) and Add new DC2 (10.0.0.6) to the current DC1 (10.0.0.5).
After doing so, DC2 (10.0.0.6) should replicate DC1's(10.0.0.5) Active Directory settings.
5. Will enable DHCP on DC2 (10.0.0.6) and disable DC1(10.0.0.5) as the DHCP server.
6. Will also allow DC2(10.0.0.6) to be the primary DNS server under DHCP's DNS settings for LAN PCs.
7. domain.local wil remain the same and will not change.
8. DCs are strictly local and .com is nor will be necessary hence, domain.local will suit the company fine for the type of business that it is.
**What steps should I take to retire DC1 after DC2 (10.0.0.6) has joined the Domain as a Domain Controller (DC2) and DC2 propagates DC1's Active Directory settings?
1) Do I simply demote DC1 after approximately 24hours/1day as well as remove the Active Directory server role?
2) If so, will DC2 allow for new computers to join the domain.local once DC1 has been demoted and shutdown?
3) How do I migrate the FSMO role(s) if necessary to DC2?