• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 151
  • Last Modified:

Lenovo ThinkServer RAID Drives Not Showing Up:

Here's the situation.
I have a Lenovo ThinkServer TS100 with ServeRAID-MR10i SAS/SATA Controller.
I put 2 x 1TB SATA hard drives in it and configured it for RAID1, then installed Windows Server 2008 without issue.
I then decided that before I put the server into production, I should use Enterprise-class HDDs instead of regular consumer drives so I ordered 2 x 1TB enterprise drives (brand new).
I took the old drives out and put the new ones in.
Upon booting it mentioned something about missing all of the disks from the previous configuration .
This seemed normal to me so I clicked C to load the RAID configuration utility and setup the 2 new drives in RAID1.
I can set them up as RAID1 without issue and before exiting the utility I can see they show in green text stating they are online. You can also see the 1 virtual drive with 930GB in green with a status of Optimal.
When I reboot the system, I get the same warning that I got before about the disks missing from the initial configuration etc.
When I click any key to go passed that and try to install the OS, the drives don't show up.
When I load the ThinkServer CD and try to install the OS that way, I get a message that no drives are detected.
When I restart and click C to go back into the RAID setup utility, the 2 drives show up in blue text as "Unconfigured Good".
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
Any help would be appreciated.
0
homerslmpson
Asked:
homerslmpson
1 Solution
 
Handy HolderSaggar maker's bottom knockerCommented:
Go into the RAID configuration BIOS and delete the configuration (which is the step you missed first time when you just created a new array without deleting the old one). MR10i is a LSI controller and it stores the configuration on the disks and on the cad itself so you need to delete the config from the card.
0
 
homerslmpsonAuthor Commented:
Thank you.
Although I'm relatively certain I did try clearing the configuration at least once during the many attempts I made at getting this working, I did it once more and then created a new virtual drive using the "manual" method instead of the "automatic" method.
Not sure what was different this time around but when I rebooted, I saw that one virtual drive was detected which meant I was good to go.
While I wouldn't say that your comment was solution per say, it did confirm that nothing was broken or incompatible which led me to trying one more time.
Thanks!
0

Featured Post

Get your problem seen by more experts

Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now