Solved

Windows Update on 8.1 64 bit - Updates were installed: never

Posted on 2016-11-17
7
213 Views
Last Modified: 2016-11-25
I am configuring a brand new ASUS UltraBook for a client.
Out of the box it has Windows 8.1 Pro, it is activated.

It works well as it is and I have installed applications, drivers etc - but I can't get it to find any Windows updates.   I have disabled the power management and left it checking for updates all night - no joy.  It still tells me that I have never checked for updates.
ASUS support tell me to reset to factory and start again - but that will void all the work I have done on it.

I have tried removing the SoftwareDownload directory, ran the troubleshooter, flushed the DNS cache.

Any further ideas?
0
Comment
Question by:KD Johnson
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
7 Comments
 
LVL 55

Assisted Solution

by:McKnife
McKnife earned 500 total points
ID: 41891262
Download the latest cumulative update manually, install it and reboot, then retry.
0
 
LVL 95

Expert Comment

by:John Hurst
ID: 41891376
Click on Settings, then change PC Settings, then choose Update and Recovery from the left pane of the window. Click Windows Update from the left pane.

You can start Updates manually this way.
0
 
LVL 15

Expert Comment

by:William Fulks
ID: 41892017
Does the machine have enough free space on the hard drive?

Also, check your date and time settings to make sure the region is correct and all that.

Here's some steps and links to follow from Network World magazine - http://www.networkworld.com/article/2226753/microsoft-subnet/how-users-are-fixing-windows-8-1-update-install-problems.html
0
The Ultimate Checklist to Optimize Your Website

Websites are getting bigger and complicated by the day. Video, images, custom fonts are all great for showcasing your product/service. But the price to pay in terms of reduced page load times and ultimately, decreased sales, can lead to some difficult decisions about what to cut.

 
LVL 92

Expert Comment

by:nobus
ID: 41892553
is the date/time correct?  if not many thoings don't work
0
 
LVL 1

Accepted Solution

by:
KD Johnson earned 0 total points
ID: 41895571
I can't see any way to comment on your replies - only to comment on my original question.  There is plenty of disk space - the notebook is new out of the box.  The date, time, region and time zone are correct.  I have been trying to update it manually - it just searches for updates infinitely.  I had hopes of the manual install of the update bundle and have applied the August 2016 bundle from the .cab file using "dism /online /add-package /packagepath:<path>\<name>.cab"

I  now think I have resolved it - at least it has now found 217 updates and is now downloading them.

I installed the updated Windows Update client from here: http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=3138615 (March 2016).  Once again I had to use the DISM routine - as trying to install using the standalone installer just resulted in an infinite "Checking for Installed Updates" loop.

Thanks for the contributions.
0
 
LVL 92

Expert Comment

by:nobus
ID: 41895747
here's what i do  - it may help you :
download it here :  https://www.microsoft.com/nl-NL/download/details.aspx?id=5842
if needed, install also IE11  here :  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer
Install the newer version of the Windows Update Agent:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
Then Install the following patch: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
0
 
LVL 1

Author Closing Comment

by:KD Johnson
ID: 41901386
While McKnife's suggestion of installing the latest update bundle was helpful I had to learn the trick of manually installing from the .CAB file, as the standalone installer mechanism was also broken.

The update bundle still didn't resolve the issue, but manually installing the updated Windows Update Client using the DISM routine appears to have fixed the problem.
0

Featured Post

Secure Your WordPress Site: 5 Essential Approaches

WordPress is the web's most popular CMS, but its dominance also makes it a target for attackers. Our eBook will show you how to:

Prevent costly exploits of core and plugin vulnerabilities
Repel automated attacks
Lock down your dashboard, secure your code, and protect your users

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

The Windows functions GetTickCount and timeGetTime retrieve the number of milliseconds since the system was started. However, the value is stored in a DWORD, which means that it wraps around to zero every 49.7 days. This article shows how to solve t…
Determining the an SCCM package name from the Package ID
This Micro Tutorial will teach you how to reformat your flash drive. Sometimes your flash drive may have issues carrying files so this will completely restore it to manufacturing settings. Make sure to backup all files before reformatting. This w…
Windows 8 came with a dramatically different user interface known as Metro. Notably missing from that interface was a Start button and Start Menu. Microsoft responded to negative user feedback of the Metro interface, bringing back the Start button a…

717 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question