Quick: What are the IT costs associated with moving to a new building?
Posted on 2016-12-01
Okay, sorry about the nebulous nature of this question. Here's the deal: Apparently our lease is coming due. Our parent company is refusing to sign the new 5-year lease. Senior management asked me this morning "how much would it cost the IT department to move to a new building, assuming that building is an empty shell and we need to do everything?" Oh, and they want a "ballpark" number by the end of the day today!
So I'm trying to figure out what all the costs associated would be. I'm asking the community for two things:
1. What items am I missing?
2. What is the "ballpark" cost of each item?
We're a small/mid business with ~75 employees. My current computer room is 3 racks with 2 VM host servers, phone system, backup appliance, and various network equipment.
What I've thought of so far:
* Room itself (secured access, raised floor, wiring tracks, power requirements
* Redundant AC units
* Fire suppression system
* Ethernet drops (200 ports: 75 workstations x2 (phone/computer), plus 50 misc. for phones and network locations)
* Voice circuit installation
* Data circuit installation