We sometimes have delays on our servers.. We try to tweak the memory and have helped a lot, but not enough - it seems. CPU on the HyperV boxes seems to be anywhere from 20 to 80%.
I'm not sure where the bottleneck is and I'm hoping for some feedback of comparing IOps on P2000G3 with SAS 10K disks connected SAS HBA vs MSA2040 using SSDs connected SAS HBA.
I have checked with HP support and they recommended me setting up round-robin.. that doesn't work when using SAS HBA... I've search "all the web".. so.. please.. if you have any real answers/experience/suggestions, let me know!
Do we need another setup? New servers (recommendations)? Another storage solution (recommendations)? We prefer HP...
We have about 300 users connected through Remote Desktop Services (virtual servers RDS on 2008R2, 2012R2 and 2016 servers) running on a total of four HP ProLiant DL380 G7 boxes with 2xE5620 CPU's and 192GB ram each.
These hyper-v servers are also running other VM's (total of 24 including these 7 for RDS).
These are connected to a HP P2000 G3 SAS DC with 24 x 900GB 10K SAS disks... first 8 running RAID-5, next 8 running RAID-10, next 6 running RAID-10, 2 in global spare.
Checking the stats on the HP P2000 G3 SAS the Average Response Time are as follows:
- 6 disks RAID-10 (low 2ms, high 20ms, avg 12ms) - throughput peeking 40MB/s
- 8 disks RAID-10 (low 2ms, high 27ms, avg 11ms) - throughput peeking 80MB/s
- 8 disks RAID-5 (low 8ms, high 25ms, avg 16ms) - throughput peeking 230MB/s
I have a couple of questions:
- How would a MSA2040 DC SFF (the one with SSD cache) compare regards IOps? Yes, I have read all the PDFs from HP but they compare using 192 disks in the P2000 and 144 disks in the MSA2040 if I'm not mistaken and .... well.. that's a bit too many for me ;)
- How would speed (throughput, IOps, delay etc.) be using iSCSI (on a dedicated 10Gbps NIC) be vs SAS 6Gb we use now?
- Are there any other storage units we should consider like QNAP SS-EC2479? Pros/cons?
- Any "max IOps" on a P2000 G3 controller? If "any", what's the max on MSA2040?
- Any other suggestions?
- We use 10Gbps SFP+ NICs now.. any loss/latency if we switch to 10Gbps cobber NICs/switches?