I have worked as a full-time translator since 2009 and am now contemplating to purchase a Mac and DTP software like Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator and Quark so I can widen my offering of services to include DTP as well. This is normally something the translation agencies handle themselves, but perhaps I could easier find direct customers by offering them DTP services.
As I translate in a language direction which is highly demanded, I receive more job offers than I can accept. How is the situation when it comes to DTP?
1. Can I do DTP for other languages (at least languages I am somewhat familiar with, like Chinese, Russian and French)?
2. Which areas could I quite easily get a good start in within sub-areas of DTP? For example, DTP that is related to translation would be one sub-area. What other sub-areas are there?
3. Which industries require DTP from freelancers the most (more than the translation industry)?
4. How do I handle files if I work with DTP software on a Mac and my customers send me Windows DTP files?
5. How long would it take me to get started with DTP with no previous knowledge of it by just having the necessary hardware and software?
6. How good is the profit margin (how much competition is there)?
7. If I purchase the software and a Mac, can I, to start with at least, let someone else use this Mac with the installed DTP software and work remotely with DTP tasks? In other words, I give this other person full access to my Mac and all installed DTP software. Would it work for this other person to work full-time using this method?
I am interested in starting with this, but need to make sure I can make a reasonable profit on it also before I purchase anything.