troubleshooting Question


Avatar of Lynn Harris
Lynn HarrisFlag for United States of America asked on
IBM System iDB2
5 Comments1 Solution385 ViewsLast Modified:
Update: I'm trying to sync office vision email changes between to old systems for recovery purposes. Office vision is the only application running both systems:  active system is a 610 v4r5 and the backup system is a 170 v4r4.  

Sync users, configuration, etc. once. Then any changes made to the live system (610) will also be made to the backup system (170) manually for these areas. However, documents and email changes by users need to be synced a few times throughout the day. (depending on what the final solution will allow due to availability, speed, etc.) The hope is to sync the folders/files & email every half hour to hour.

 (should be noted I'm a newbie to journaling)

I would like to use QAOSDIAJRN for email recovery. Documents, as well, if they are recoverable is the same journal. Otherwise SAVRSTDLO will be used to folders/files. The SAVRSTDLO was successful with my own library but I have not done a full test until I get the email working. (I have created a job to grant myself permission to handle email for all current users; if the savrst is required.)

I have not tried remote journaling with redirect because it seems to me the results would be the same (newbie).  Plus,  I'm hoping not to mess with system journals. Whether I use SAVRSTOBJ on the receiver and pass it to the remote system or use remote journaling it seems either way I end up with a receiver on the remote system which must somehow be recognized by the system journal QAOSDIJRN for the apply to work.  

Steps taken:
a) I used CHGJRN to detach the current receiver on QAOSDIAJRN so when I send to the remote system the status is 'saved' and not partial.
b) I tried to use CHGJRN on the remote system to detach the current receiver and attach the one I send over, but it will not allow this because entries exist.
c) Then I thought I could use APYJRNCHG and treat the receiver as if it was a 'broken chain' receiver. I entered the transmitted receiver for the starting and ending journal receiver range and the starting and ending seq number in the receiver from that receiver in the apply change command. In the reading, it was clear you did not want to restore *all when using QAOSDIAJRN so I did as suggested and restore:

               (QUSRSYS/QAOKP01A) (QUSRSYS/QAOKP02A)
               (QUSRSYS/QAOKP03A) (QUSRSYS/QAOKP04A)
               (QUSRSYS/QAOKP05A) (QUSRSYS/QAOKP06A)
               (QUSRSYS/QAOKP08A) (QUSRSYS/QAOKP09A))

I did each file individually after putting the system in semi-restricted state so no locks existed. I did receive lock messages on first try.  Each step ran without errors, but it did not restore anything - Message: 0 objects restored.

It should be noted for the test receiver I sent to the remote system there are only about 90 entries. I ran chgjrn to create a new receiver on the source machine then did a few emails between myself and my test user, created a couple documents, etc. Then ran chgjrn again so I would have a somewhat 'controlled' test receiver. There are some user changes made during this time but not many.

Any suggestion? If screen prints or addition documentation would be helpful, please let me know.

Gary Patterson, CISSP
Expert for hire: IBM i, AIX, Linux, Windows, DB2, Performance, Security. EDI

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 1 Answer and 5 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 5 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros