Outlook only connects to Exchage 2013 when installed directly on the Exchange server.

Exchange 2013 CU15 installed on Windows Server 2012 R2. (New exchange setup)
Exchange has been configured and can send/receive using OWA.
Had issues setting up Outlook (2010 and 2013)

When I installed Outlook 2010 directly on the Exchange server I was able to easily set up Outlook and get it connected.
Settings:
Server: exchange.domain.com
Username: Administrator
HTTP/Proxy settings:
exchange.domain.com
msstd:exchange.domain.com
And I tried each off NTML, Basic and Negotiate auth methods. (all work)
The server name then auto changes to: b88ffdcf-6edd-4d6b-85b3-8737b6b7c70f@domain.com
And the username becomes the email address.
Each time I was able to successfully set up Outlook on the exchange server. And was able to send/receive on it.

The problem is I am unable to set up outlook on any other machine on the network.
I tried this on:
-A domain controller server
-A workstation on the domain
-A workstation not on the domain.

The error I get is that when click "check name" I get the error: "this action cannot be completed. the connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."
Or
 "Outlook cannot log on. Verify that you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Sometimes I do get a password prompt but it will get the same error after I enter the username and password.

I made sure that the exchange.domain.com address resolved to the correct IP on each machine I tested.

I've tested this all internally.

Any tips will be appreciated.
scraftausAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Tom CieslikIT EngineerCommented:
It looks like you have firewall issue on Exchange.
Make sure ports 80 and 443 are open on firewall.

You can make a test by disabling firewall on Exchange for a while and try to setup Outlook on workstation.

Another think is that make sure your certificate is installed on Exchange and in IIS is binded to port 443 under your External domain name.
Also make sure you have autodiscover zone in your internal and external DNS.
In Internal DNS Forward Lookup ZOne you should create autodiscover.yourdoman.com record with A recodr pointed to your internal Exchange IP/
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
scraftausAuthor Commented:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I believe the autodiscover setting did the trick.

Thanks.
0
Tom CieslikIT EngineerCommented:
I'm glad I was able to help you. If all is working please close this question and assign Best Solution.
0
scraftausAuthor Commented:
Thanks. I will.
Just one thing though. I don't know what happened...
Prior to this I was able to send from any exchange account. But now even in OWA emails are getting stuck in draft.
I believe all I changed was turning off the firewall, setting up DNS for autodiscover to internal IP and possibly the DNS settings in the LAN on the exchange server.
I had an similar issue in the earlier stages of setting this up where I needed to put in the Sender connector>scoping>FQDN eg. exchange.domain.com but that haasn't changed.

Behaviour: In OWA sent emails stuck in Draft. I can deleted them but if I log out and back in they are still there and not deleted.
0
scraftausAuthor Commented:
It was a DNS change that caused the subsquent send error. Fixed now.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.