Local Intranet site default document doesn't load. Rest of the site is accessible. IIS7. IE11


I have a local Intranet site that is running on IIS 7, Windows 2008 Server Standard. Just recently I have come across an issue where the home page does not load in Internet Explorer (seems OK in Chrome). The rest if the site is accessible if you paste the URL into the address bar. I can get the home page working again by performing IISRESET or manually restarting the site through IIS. However, it doesn't last long and I soon have to go and restart the site again

This issue is present across all networked PC's. It is a very strange one as this particular site has been running for about 6 years with absolutely no issues. The only event that I can trace back to was when I made a routine update to the site, however I have updated this site hundreds of times over the years with no issues

Any help appreciated

Ben IssittAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Disable friendly errors in ie in the event the iis log for said access reflect an error.
Your question seem to ignore the possibility of an error on the page. View source to confirm data is received, but rendering is the issue.

Default document is presented by iis commonly without regard to the browser, but may vary if you've setup your server based on the preferred language .

Page info on chrome to confirm you are not looking at a cached copy lady modified date.

Since this is an intranet site, all I can offer is suggestion where you should look.

Consulting iis site logs could confirm requests received... Are on the correct location........ If iis serve's multiple sites.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Ben IssittAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your response

The fact that the page would sometimes load but then stop lead me to believe it was an IIS issue. However your comment that I was ignoring it could be a page error made me look more into that. I took a backup of the default page and then bit by bit went through removing elements and bang - I removed something and it was working absolutely fine. I have re-created this part of the page making sure everything is correct and now all looks OK

It is strange as the part of the page that seemed to be causing the issue had not been changed. Your comment pointed me in the right direction so thank you for your help
Ben IssittAuthor Commented:
Pointed me in a direction I had not considered and resulted in the issue being fixed
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft IIS Web Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.