We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

SBS 2011 User ADmin Account keeps locking

Bob Alvarez
Bob Alvarez asked
on
248 Views
Last Modified: 2018-02-06
About 2 months ago we began experiencing that a single user account, that belongs to the Administrator group keeps going into locked status. This account is 80% of the time accessing the server via RWW with the other 20% being onsite. No other account or the default admin account is experiencing this problem. We have to reset the password to get it active again, and then before long it is locked again.
Comment
Watch Question

David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
The first thing that occurs to me is that someone, or indeed a process is attempting to access this account and failing multiple times.

Author

Commented:
You may be on to something. I see when it gets locked out but not what is causing it.
David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
Are you using that account for any automated routine?

Author

Commented:
I do not believe so and do not see failures on the System event viewer.
David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
Then It's possible that it's the actions of an individual.
Freelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Commented:
Unlock this solution and get a sample of our free trial.
(No credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
Renaming the user account stopped it from being locked.
David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
Good news! :)

Author

Commented:
A user computer had wrong credentials in their Outlook causing the failed logon attempts.
David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
Sorted! :)

Author

Commented:
Changing the user name stopped the account locking and allowed us to find what wasn't working anymore, which was the cause for the account being locked out.
David NeedhamFreelance Consultant
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
A question:  Why have you accepted your own comments as the solution?  It was me that pointed you in that direction!

Gain unlimited access to on-demand training courses with an Experts Exchange subscription.

Get Access
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Empower Your Career
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Unlock the solution to this question.
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Please provide your email to receive a sample view!

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.