Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Marc Jacobs
Marc JacobsFlag for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

asked on

Outlook indexing problem

Hi,

Having a problem in both Outlook 2013 and 2016 where indexing is not fully indexing all messages in mailbox. Within Outlook when performing a search it always says 'searching' at the bottom of the screen and never finishes. This is with both with an in-house exchange server (2010) and Office 365.

All the workstations involved are running Windows 10,  as in Windows 7 rebuilding the index service completely (from removing from Windows features and then re-adding) solves the problem,

However in Windows 10 you don't seem to be able to completely remove the indexing service in the same way and simply rebuilding the index from within indexing options doesn't fix the problem.

We've tried various fixes including deleting everything from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Temp and so deleting the edb file and letting rebuild. Also 'improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown' in search options in Outlook is unchecked. We've also tried rebuilding the mail profile from within the mail applet as well as deleting the OST and letting it rebuild.

Any help greatly appreciated
Avatar of Jackie Man
Jackie Man
Flag of Hong Kong image

How large is the mail box ?
Avatar of Marc Jacobs

ASKER

Hi.

It's anything from 2gb to 28gb in size
This is currently happening with multiple customers
Thanks
For mailbox larger than 5gb, you need to enable sync slider of MS Outlook 2013 or 2016.

Have you patched sp3 for your exchange server 2010?

Will you upgrade your exchange 2010? Outlook 2013 or 2016 are not fully compatible with Exchange 2010.
1 server has sp2 for exchange 2010, although my understanding is indexing is a local function rather than server side.

Others are on Office 365

Sync slider is set to all items
Thanks
SOLUTION
Avatar of Jackie Man
Jackie Man
Flag of Hong Kong image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Hi,

OST files have been deleted and recreated a number of times, in addition to the mail profile has also been done for both the exchange 2010 user and office 365 user.

Thanks for the link to the other comments, we have run through the suggestions as well with no luck.

What we haven't done yet is a new windows profile, although trying to leave this to a last resort if this is deemed the next step.

Thanks
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial