What methods are best for organizing zipped and their extracted files in Windows?
This is not a technical question but relates to simplicity and efficiency. I've never been quite sure of the best way to manage zipped and unzipped files.
For example, I learned long ago that it's not a great idea to extract a zipped file right in the Downloads folder where it arrived. And actually, my question is not so much about the extracted files which, like any file, are generally moved to a folder appropriate for their topic.
But for the original unzipped file, is it best to:
• leave it in the Downloads folder after extracting its contents to some other folder
• leave it in the Downloads folder but move a copy of it elsewhere before extracting
• remove the original from the Downloads folder before doing anything to it
• keep a copy of the original in the same location with its extracted files
• keep a copy of the original file in a different location than its extracted files
• discard the original file after its contents are extracted
I'm sure the above options are mostly a matter of preference but I'm curious re practices followed by others and why.