MS Volume Licensing question

Tiras25 used Ask the Experts™
We have a pool of MS VL here in US.  We have another branch-office in China.  Can they use our US VL to build a Windows Server in China?
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
IT Infrastructure Consultant
Please check T&C of your existing volume license. I believe there is a restriction on minimum number license count then only you can use in different reason or buy EA or MPSA.
Jane UpdegraffSr. Systems Administrator
In my experience, this can get you in trouble with Microsoft. Or really any publisher. We have a VL for the Dominican Republic that was purchased for use in Dominicana. We also had a VL bought in Florida for use in the US. When we were audited by Microsoft, we were required to move the license keys around such that only our US licenses were in use in the US and only the DR licenses could be in use in the DR. But I'm sure not all volume license programs are the same. They may very well offer an international license that we did not have.


Got it.    Thanks Jane.
I guess we need to check with MS VL if we allowed to transfer licenses internationally.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial