I have a large Windows desktop project written in C# using Visual Studio 2013 Pro. There are 8 datasets that connect remotely to a MySQL database. This code has worked for years. The connection string in the project string settings will connect just fine. When I open a dataset in designer view and attempt to add a new table clicking the "Query builder..." button it produces the error "The query builder failed. Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts." (attached screen shot). If I attempt to enter a query manually at the end of the wizard there is an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" for a simple select statement.
The only changes are MySql.Data updated from 6.7.4 to 6.10.4 via NuGet and .NET Framework went from 4 to 4.5.2 (to match the dependency of the new MySQL upgrade). I have checked the Machine.config file and the proper versions updated properly.
Another issue is after the upgrade I lost the designer.cs files to the datasets. I attempted to run the Custom Tool on each of the .xsd files for the datasets and get "the custom tool 'MSDataSetGenerator' failed. Failed to generate code. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I think the two issues are related. I am pressed to get this fixed for release.