Hi - I have a problem with one particular client. We are running SBS 2011 and for years everything has been OK. Suddenly I am getting an error that the site can't be reached. I setup the router (using Teamviewer) to allow remote management. But I get the same error when I attempted to access the router remotely - so both the https://Remote.xxx.com or try to access the router with https://remote.xxx.com:8080 it fails.
We are using Cablevision and they say they can reach the router and everything worked on their side. Since the router is the entry point I thought that maybe the problem might be with the router so we replaced the router and it made no change at all.
The problem happens exactly the same way if I use either the IP address or the remote.xxx.com.
One more thing - Remote Desktop Connections works when I open the port (remote.xxx.com:3380)