We are a small charity which uses a Dell Poweredge R815 as our server.
With no apparent cause, the server stopped working abruptly.
When we spotted it, the machine was still running; the LCD screen on the front of it was still active, but there was no video output. IWepowered it off and and on, and it went through exactly the same sequence that it now has ever since :-
- The green LEDs light up on the system board and the PSU
- The fans spin for maybe two seconds
- Then nothing. The power switch LED fails to light the motherboard green LEDs stay on, flickering nicely. Nothing on video output, and the front LCD screen doesn't light up.
We've tried :
- Switching the PSUs
- Taking out the RAM and just leaving two in (position A1 and B2)
- Disconnecting the SAS controller
- Taking out one CPU so there's only one, and swapping that CPU
- Resetting the NVRAM
If we pull the Riser 1 card (that the SAS controller is normally connected to), something slightly different happens :-
1. The LCD screen on the front becomes operative
2. We can access the DRAC and login to that.
However, we still can't power on the system. I guess it may all point to a motherboard failure. My guess is all that is happening is that the lack of the Riser triggers an error condition a step further back in the process, and there it stops.
We don't have a replacement Riser 1 card or motherboard to test. Any suggestions or things to try would be hugely welcome...
Thank you, Jamie