We help IT Professionals succeed at work.
Get Started

Windows Server Licensing

Last Modified: 2017-11-14
We have an older server that we are using to evaluate some software we are looking to purchase.  I set it up with a Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 180 day trial for this evaluation.  that trial has since expired and I am trying to determine what me best course of action would be going forward.  My thought is that once we decide to move forward with this software that i will likely end up purchasing a new server for better performance so i am not sure what i should do? or even what i can do....

Obviously I could just buy a license for the 2012 R2 Standard, but what i am wondering is if its possible to purchase a 2016 license and activate it on a 2012 system?  and if so, could i then in the future potentially move this license to a new server with 2016 installed at some point down the road?


Watch Question
Senior Network Consultant / Engineer
This problem has been solved!
Unlock 2 Answers and 5 Comments.
See Answers
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE