Wiring a RJ-45 wall plug, A or B?

From what I understand it is more common to use the B scheme when wiring a plug but just want to make sure before I dig into this. The cable will go up the wall, into a wall insert and then a new cable plugged from the insert to a laptop. The other end will plug directly to a port in a Linksys router. Later on I may install a second wall insert so instead of plugging directly into the router it would go wall insert and then router.

Does it matter if A or B is used unless you need a crossover? All home equipment.
Who is Participating?
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Does not matter so long as both are RJ45 and not a crossover. Most connections today are auto sensing
REIUSAAuthor Commented:
Good to know, thanks.
Dave BaldwinFixer of ProblemsCommented:
Does it matter if A or B is used unless you need a crossover?
Not with any equipment I have from the last 15 or 20 years.  They are all 'auto-sensing'.  I wire everything 'straight-thru', B to B by the numbers.  I have a crossover cable but I haven't used it in 15 years either!
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
You are very welcome and thank you
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.