Gain tax credit for energy efficient windows installation

I had some dual pane windows installed on my balcony that have improved my home's energy efficiency during both the winter and the summer. Now I don't need to heat my home as much during the winter or cool my house as much during the summer.

This installation and materials cost $3,100.

I have been told that I might be eligible to write this cost off in my taxes or to gain a tax credit of around $250.00.

How can I go about claiming this tax credit or deduction?
IT GuyNetwork EngineerAsked:
Who is Participating?
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Those tax credits have ended where I am and I think also they have ended in the United States
David FavorLinux/LXD/WordPress/Hosting SavantCommented:
Federal tax credits have expired now.

Local municipalities sometimes extend various rebates for energy efficiency.

For example, I live in Austin, TX + recently replaced an air conditioning unit.

I actually had to install a unit which cost $500 less than the old unit + by doing this I received a $500 check from the city.

If I had just replaced my unit, I would have received no rebate.

Check with the local company who did the installation. Normally, if rebates exist for your specific situation, the company doing the install will file all the appropriate paper work with correct government offices.

If you ask for them to do this.
slightwv (䄆 Netminder) Commented:
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
@Knowledgeable  - Thank you and I was happy to help
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.