Tech Writing - What do you call this icon?


I've encountered the below icon when documenting a web application. In Chrome (and in my app) it seems to be used to access various applications.

What is the icon?
For documentation purposes, does it have a formal name other than (e.g.) "Applications Icon" that most/all readers would understand? (My audience has decent technical knowledge.)

Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Where I see it used it is called the Apps Launcher. I hope that helps.
Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
> most/all readers would understand?

Most/all readers would understand "apps". For example, hover over it in the Google environment and you'll see this:

Google apps
Regards, Joe

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
I see the Icon in numerous apps now, not just Google, and it means Apps.
Python 3 Fundamentals

This course will teach participants about installing and configuring Python, syntax, importing, statements, types, strings, booleans, files, lists, tuples, comprehensions, functions, and classes.

David FavorLinux/LXD/WordPress/Hosting SavantCommented:
Normally referred to as an Apps icon or Grid icon, depending on context.
Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Thanks, guys! Apps it is. Happy Holidays!
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Thanks - you too, as well, especially as we get nearer.  I am off (not booking clients) until January 3.
Ryan ChongBusiness Systems Analyst , ex-Senior Application EngineerCommented:
probably called it as "Speel Dial" for Opera in Android

New Opera for Android looks like Opera, tastes like Chrome
Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
Happy Holidays to you, too!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Web Applications

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.