I had a working setup but after the failure of my single virtual ESXi server (WMware work station, deploy ESXI. Install vSphere and add the virtual ESXi server), i have problems.
Basically i cannot add a data store to the ESXI server - it doesn't see anything. I've done this more than a few times previously but wanted to get my logic checked. Here's my setup
Storage host is 2012 R2 physical. VMware work station is installed on the same server.
1. I added iSCSI target (windows on the same s2012 R2 server) and included the IP address if ESXi as the initiator.
2. Created iSCSI target making sure the initiator was correct.
3. From ESXi i can ping the iSCSI target server IP address
4. In ESXi and storage adaptor i choose dynamic target adding the IP address of teh Windows server.
5. If i rescan adaptors and then try to add the dataastore it simply doesn't show up as an option.
It seems VMware is an unforgiving beast and that when something goes wrong, after it was working, you have to trash the lot to get it to work. Any tips appreciated.