We are currently looking at moving our 2008/2008 r2 RDS Client Access Licenses from a Windows Server 2008 r2 server to a new server running Windows Server 2016. I've pulled together a plan to do this from the Microsoft Docs. However I would like some advice from someone who has done this before. We will be using the web browser migration method and both servers are on the same domain.
We don't plan on upgrading anything else yet, the servers that will use the licenses are still 2008 r2.
There are a few things I haven't been able to figure out.
- How does the actual migration process work? will all licenses move in one go and the old server immediately becomes obsolete?
- Will there be any user outage while this happens?
- How long does the process take?
- What do I do if it goes wrong? (I've no been able to find a back out plan online)
- Is there anyway to test the migration process
Any advice is greatly appreciated!