Can't connect Outlook 2016 to Exchange 2016.
I verify my autodiscovery with Microsoft remote connectivity analyzer for both exchange and Outlook and both has the same results.
Fail for autodiscovery.domain.com but succeed for autodiscovery.mail.domain.com
The mail.domain.com is where the exchange is located. The domain.com is where the website is hosted.
The problem I see is that I have a Microsoft account at outlook.com with the same user name as firstname.lastname@example.org that is the one that exist on the exchange server.
Before it was finding the one on outlook.com and was asking me the password but that's not the one I want. I want to one on the exchange server.
All DNS is correct for A records and MX records. Everything was working fine the same way till one hour ago when I decide to reset my computer to factory defaults and reinstall Office. I had the same problem a year ago when I install it the first time and I figure out at that time with some local xml file for autodiscovery but I can't remember how.
I got an idea but still not working