IIS/DNS, Well, it was working last week '???'
I have a windows 2012 R2 server running IIS with 2 sites. A public facing IP using an external DNS source. The Default site has always been on but is not used. My 2 sites are Site1.mydomain.com, where http is redirected to https. and https://Site2.mydomain.com on port:xxxx. I built a new server last week to replace the original yet, this same problem existed prior to the original server being replaced. An additional problem arose today where my users who had favorite links are also experiencing this issue too. I forgot the important part. The main web site SITE1.mydomain.com has always been accessed as SITE1.mydomain.com or simply mydomain.com and resolved either way.
I noticed a couple weeks back when I accessed my main site, SITE1.mydomain.com omitting SITE1(i.e. mydomain.com) my request was being resolved to the MS default IIS page. This struck me as odd as I was able to resolve the intended page weeks prior. The server was having other issues with updating and some old software that wouldn't properly uninstall and I felt it was time to replace it with a new VM, and move my sites over. As well I exported my certificates out and imported them into the new server. I feel confident I did my due diligence in ensuring like for like settings in all of IIS.
Upon bringing the new server up my access to SITE1 and SITE2:1234 works as it should yet, and still, when I try to access the url http://
mydomain.com it resolves to the default IIS Page. Now this would seem correct since there is neither a redirect nor a url re-write configuration for SITE1 yet, I know the URL worked in the past. Of course since I replaced the Server this weekend I've had a few calls from users/customers who access the site with favorite link complain it's not working. Once they enter the full url it works.
I've turned off the site DefaultWeb site and that only creates an error page. From a DNS point and access point it appears to be working normal but, I've inherited this server, sold the idea of replacing it with a new one to clean it up so the higher ups feel access behavior should be the same.
My goal is for users to continue to access the site1.mydomain.com as they have in the past by simply entering https://mydomain.com.