Avatar of hypercube
Flag for United States of America asked on

Computer Services Liability Insurance Question

My small business insurance is very oddly worded.  The front page of the policy says:
Business Description: "Computer Consultants and Trainers"
Then, in the Exclusions, under Professional Liablity: Applicable to Business Liability Coverage-Liability it says:
"Services provided as a practitioner in the fields of: ........., Computer Consultants, ......
It sounds like I'm being issued a policy for exactly what's been excluded.

The agent has not helped me to understand that this is somehow OK - and I rather doubt that it would be possible but then there often are clear explanations for things like this.
They basically said that it was good that the insurance company was willing to issue the policy and take my money.

In searching for a new policy, a new agent tells me that the standard  policies say the same thing.

Other than NOT having any insurance, what do you recommend?  Surely there are plenty of Experts here who have the same kind of issue.
Well, that is, I'm asking:
If you carry liability insurance, is there a company or policy you can recommend that avoids this language?

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment

8/22/2022 - Mon
Russ Suter

This is really a legal matter. The laws may be different in your location and the experts here generally aren't experts in law. You really need to consult with an attorney who specializes in this sort of thing. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars to have an attorney review a document like this and make sure you're properly indemnified.

I modified the question trying to clarify what the question is.
This isn't intended to be a legal question.  It just has some simple legal implications is all.
It's a question about what's available in the marketplace.
David Johnson, CD

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question
Log in to continue reading
Log In
Sign up - Free for 7 days
Get an unlimited membership to EE for less than $4 a week.
Unlimited question asking, solutions, articles and more.

David Johnson's suggestions are all good ones!
I found what I was looking for separately so this answer gives the "solution" and David Johnson gets the points!  That seems a balanced approach.
Your help has saved me hundreds of hours of internet surfing.