I'm having an issue where moving a workstation from one OU to another causes the machine to not print to any of the thermal ticket printers. No errors are displayed, The print queue shows the file as normal & processed but nothing comes out on the actual printer. Even if we moved the affected workstation back into an OU with no GP and with inheritance blocked the problem does not go away.
- The thermal printers only use Generic/text drivers. The application software will not work with / detect any other drivers.
- Checked RSOP and no GP applied from any GP
- tried an OU with inheritance blocked with no GP
- GP do not contain any manual registry changes
- Local policy was not touch and is default
- Printing to any other printer is fine, no issues.
As a test i decided to do a "print to file"
on the affected workstation. What i discovered was that the .PRN file that was generated was 2 bytes and 0 KB on disk. I then tested the same file on a workstation that was working correctly. The .PRN file generated was 444 bytes and 4 KB on disk.
using a 3 party software, I opened the 0 KB PRN file and found it to be empty. While 4 KB file had data & information in it. So based on this, I'm guessing that even though the job makes it into the queue nothing comes out because there is no date in it plus the size is 0.
I can't figure out what can be causing this or where the problem is.