Hi, I wonder if I could get a little advice with regards to the direction I should go with my website please. I'm an independant Windows software developer and I'm about to release a major upgrade of my one of my softwares "The DataSurgeon" (www.thedatasurgeon.net
). Up till now, sales have been pretty thin, partly I suppose because marketing is not my strength, and also being a one-man show - I don't have a lot of time for it while trying to simultaneously do software development. Partly too, is that the software itself is sort of a multi-purpose package and I find it hard to explain it in a succinct, brief and "punchy" way (hence the reason why my current site is so wordy). It's a unique and specialized software for people who work with very large raw data files (ie. data warehouse, data archivists, IT back office people, contact list vendors/brokers, etc). It lets them (1) Easily do complex queries at a very low character-level (2) Modify/fix those found matches (3) Perform tallies and aggregates on the matches found. In effect, it does things easily that normally one would need to hire a programmer to accomplish - I guess that's my best angle here. I really don't know what to compare it to other than an easy to use "regex engine" or "grep software" without the learning curve. And again, it's much more than that.
Anyway, the existing format/layout of my website is clearly not hitting homeruns. I realize the current capture page is not the best and fanciest thing going, but I'm just wondering if I in fact need a capture page at all for trying to sell software. I realize it's not the same as selling "Rock hard abs in 30 days!", or something hypey like that.
I guess my chief questions are:
- Should I be even using a capture page, or just let viewers land straight at the "meat" of my main site?
- If I should indeed have a capture page, can you maybe steer me in the direction of a "high-converting" good template that I can utilize and modify?
- Regarding a main site - does the format of mine cut it, design-wise?
- Maybe my main site is just too "wordy" and full of technical explanations (I *CAN* do that at times). Would I be better off just showing a very brief and broad animated "explainer" video, as opposed to a feature-demo video which I now have? Or maybe an "explainer" video on the capture page, then a more detailed demo video in the main site. I just don't know...
- Along that vein - would a more modern (and less wordy) scrolly-type website in that current and trendy "parallax" style be a better choice?
As you can see, I'm just not sure what my site presentation and structure should be for best success in the software marketplace. Any advice would be most welcome!!