Tech Writing: Name for icon that looks like a magnifying glass

In a web application, I have a screen that includes the following (redacted):
What is this icon?
The functionality is that if the thingy to the right of "Confirm" is not present, you can click Confirm to approve a transaction. If the thingy is present, there's an issue with the transaction and you can't approve it at this time.

But, what do I call it? Magnifying glass icon? Or is icon even the correct word.

Oh, the hairs I split... :)

Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
> the thingy to the right of "Confirm"

Yes, that's a magnifying glass, commonly used for, and called, "search" in many apps. Based on your description of its functionality in the web app, I would say that it's the wrong choice for the icon...and a less-than-clear UI, to boot. Regards, Joe

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Agreed on the magnifying glass not being the best choice.  That said, is "icon" the correct term here? I tend to think of icons as items on my Windows desktop, but I suppose that concept might apply here.

Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Just hit me. "symbol" instead of "icon"?
Amazon Web Services

Are you thinking about creating an Amazon Web Services account for your business? Not sure where to start? In this course you’ll get an overview of the history of AWS and take a tour of their user interface.

Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
Yes, icon is the correct term for it. It is the correct term for lots of items not on your Windows desktop, such as the "icons" in the formatting toolbar here at EE (in the Write a Comment box), the thumbs-up "icon" underneath posts here, the message, bell, and suitcase "icons" in the upper right here, etc.

> "symbol" instead of "icon"?

"icon" is the better choice, imo, although "symbol" is acceptable.
Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAuthor Commented:
@Joe, I know this is off-topic, but how on earth can i tag your 2nd comment as an ASSISTED or HELPFUL solution? The ASSISTED SOLUTION icon is gone!
Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
There's a new closing process. It is explained here:
How do I close my question?

There are two discussions going on now about the new closing process:

I suggest that you weigh in on them. Regards, Joe
Stephen KairysTechnical Writer - ConsultantAuthor Commented:
Thank you , Joe, for the terminology clarification. "Magnifying Glass icon" it is.
Joe Winograd, Fellow&MVEDeveloperCommented:
You're welcome, Steve...I think you made the right choice. And thanks for weighing in at the new-closing-process discussion.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.