I'm trying to understand how DMZ work in a Windows environment ...
So I've got my LAN, no problems with that. Now I want to put a Windows web server into a DMZ.
I've configured a VLAN for the DMZ, that works. But I'm unsure about the necessary policies on my (Watchguard) firewall regulating the traffic between DMZ and LAN:
- I'd like to be able to access the web server from the LAN using Windows Explorer. Is that possible? If yes, how?
- does the web server need to be in the local AD in order to achieve this?
- can the web server in the DMZ use a serial number distributed by the KMS server on the LAN? Or how is this being handled? [update: I got that to work]
- what if the web server in the DMZ needs to execute a query on an MSSQL server on the LAN? Do I just open the port for SQL connections? I guess using a cache DB on another server in the DMZ would be better?
- how can I RDP from the LAN to the DMZ? RDP tells me the server does not exist although I have open the RDP port on the firewall ...