User not showing up in GAL in hosted Exchange 2010.

I work for an MSP and we have an Exchange Server 2010 that we host a few of our smaller customers on.

For one company, one users "Bob" is not showing up in the GAL.  At one point the System Attendant service on this server was off and disabled.  We enabled it and started the service.

Bob shows up in the OAB but not in the GAL.  

Thinking this may be a client issue I checked another machine and "Bob" does not show up in the GAL.

Next I checked using OWA...sure enough..."Bob" does not show up.

Restarting the server would be a last resort as we have almost 300 mailboxes hosted for about 10 companies.  I don't want to disrupt them.

The server is not at the lates RU, but it's not far behind.
LVL 34
Scott CSenior EngineerAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Valentina PerezExchange ServersCommented:
Hi Scott,

When you try to update the GAL with the following command: Get-GlobalAddressList | Upadate-GlobalAddresList.

Do you see any error?

Regards
Valentina
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Scott CSenior EngineerAuthor Commented:
Thank you for replying...

Ran Update-GlobalAddressList -Identity hostedcustomerGAL

No errors came back.

It's the end of the day here and I'm going to check  in the morning.

Hopefully this fixes the issue.
0
Valentina PerezExchange ServersCommented:
Hi Scott,

Ok perfect.
0
Scott CSenior EngineerAuthor Commented:
Turns out it was a missing field in the user's profile.  Once I put the company name in the organization field and ran the Get-GlobalAddressList -Identity GALName the user immediately appeared.

Although I found the issue, your command helped me get the change to show immediately.

Thanks.
0
Scott CSenior EngineerAuthor Commented:
Helped with final solution.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.