HP (SPP) Service Pack and BIOS updates for HPE ProLiant Server
I have several HP ProLiant servers, I support, from Generation 5 to Generation 8
- None of my servers are under any HP warranty or support contracts.
For now, I am trying to get support for an HP ProLiant DL 360 P, G8 server
- on this particular server, HP did provide a link to the latest version of the intelligent provisioning software that allowed me to create a bootable DVD, which updated the current servers “intelligent provisioning” partition.
In the past, HP ProLiant generation 3,4 and 5 servers would allow using the “SmartStart CD” to rebuild them. The G5 supported the latest SmartStart 8.70. I know now SmartStart is no longer supported.
- I believe I have used SmartStart CD 8.70 on the G6 successfully but it doesn't provide the latest software and drivers.
- I also understand that the G8, G9 and G10 use IP (intelligent provisioning) to install all of the HP software components when installing the server operating system.
I need help understanding what my options are now with HP to be able to download and install the HP service packs and bios updates. From what I've researched and gathered, HP requires the in user to purchase a warranty service contract.
- I spent hours on the phone contacting different HP departments who are now all provide basically “à la carte” support. It was very frustrating and difficult to get to the correct department to get information as to how this required HP warranty contract support works.
- A few days later, I received a phone call back from an HP partner that is not affiliated with HP, but I assume is responsible for the HP out of warranty support options.
- For my “HP ProLiant DL 360 P, G8 server”, they would provide a 24 x 7 yearly support option of $950. there was a cheaper option for $550 per year.
Here's my issue,
- I don't need hardware support. I am very well versed with HP ProLiant servers for I been supporting HP ProLiant servers since generation one.
- What I do need, is the ability to download the latest service packs and bios updates. In order to do so, HP is telling me that I have to have a full support contract.
I haven't purchased a brand-new server in over five years I've not had the need to do so.
I understand that HP needs to get paid for their software development - but to pay $950 a year for support that I don't need, is extremely difficult to swallow.
- I know HP allows me to download some Windows drivers and software but not the service packs and bios updates
- I also know that some of the service packs are the same service packs across many servers for the same operating system.
Does anyone know of any other support options, paid or free, that allows me to download the software that I need.
- I vaguely recall that there were other paid options that only supports allowing me access to all of the server downloads for a particular server and a particular operating system.
I know that it is possible to install the Windows server operating system on to any generation server without using the intelligent provisioning and for the most part, and install the native Windows server device drivers. However, I want the ability for the server to be fully software supported and have all the HP recommended tools installed as recommended by HP.
Any help would be appreciated.