OAB doesn't download

Outlook on multiple Windows 10 workstations always "updating address book". The process never completes, and in many cases prevents new mail from showing up until Outlook is closed and reopened. We have machines with both Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013, and we're seeing this problem on both versions. We also have machines that are not experiencing this issue, despite having identical configurations. We have web-based distribution as well as Public Folder distribution enabled.

So far, we have tried the following with no success:

1.      Creating a new Outlook Profile
2.      Creating a new Windows User Profile – The issue exists for all users on an affected machine.
3.      Sfc /scannow – This command runs the System File Checker, which doesn’t find any issues.
4.      DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth   - This is the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, which also finds no problems.
5.      BITSADMIN /reset – Some articles have suggested that this issue might be a problem with the BITS queue.
6.      Removing the local OAB files.
7.      Uninstalling Office 2016 (and all other versions) using the Microsoft Office Removal Tool, then reinstalling Office.

If anyone has any other fixes or insights, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
C HeckAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
If you are using Exchange as the messaging system, verify that the OAB is added to all the mailbox DBs.
0
Samimbadshah ShaikhCommented:
can you check your URL of OAB.

if user are external network user than external URL of OAB should be configured with public fqdn.
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
As mentioned, we have many machines that ARE able to download the OAB. They are all on the internal LAN, and the URLs test out fine. This is more of a client issue.
0
The Ultimate Tool Kit for Technolgy Solution Provi

Broken down into practical pointers and step-by-step instructions, the IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy for valuable how-to assets including sample agreements, checklists, flowcharts, and more!

timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
Did you verify what i mentioned?
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
Yes all mailbox databases have the proper OAB set.

All OAB URL's function perfectly when hit with a web browser.

New install machines are grabbing the OAB as intended.

About half of the existing machines do NOT grab the OAB as intended.
0
timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
test the autoconfig of a mailbox with the issue and see if there are any errors. see link for assistance.

https://kb.infobridge.com/hc/en-us/articles/202657632-How-to-verify-the-OAB-and-EWS-url-for-Outlook-Online-Synchronizer?mobile_site=true
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
We have run the Test Email Auto Configuration and it comes back with no errors.  Proper OAB URL's are listed for both RPC and HTTP protocols.

We have also turned on Outlook logging and nothing is really popping up as an error.

The negatively affected Outlook clients don't even try to create the OAB local folders and files.
0
timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
Are you able to see if the users with the issue are on the same mailbox DB while the users without the issue are on a different mailbox DB?
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
OK, I am moving an affected user to the same mailbox database as mine.

Having said that:

I am able to download the OAB on my PC's Outlook 2016.
When I log into an affected user's PC, I cannot download the OAB, just sits there indefinitely.  Same version of Outlook 2016.

Will report back once I have the other user moved.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
0
timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
Good luck.
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
OK moved affected user, Tom to my mailbox database.  

Tom still can not grab the OAB on his machine.

I had Tom log into my machine, set up an Outlook profile and he grabbed the OAB no problem.

Ugh.  :(
0
timgreen7077Exchange EngineerCommented:
Ok, so its something with the machines they are using. maybe there are differences in the outlook versions, patches, updates, or something. this can at least confirm its either something with their client or actual machines.
0
Nitish KarmakarConsultantCommented:
Since it appears to be like a client specific problem can you run MS SARA (https://diagnostics.outlook.com/) tool and review the diagnostics info.
0
C HeckAuthor Commented:
Will do, first thing in the morning.

Thanks!
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows 10

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.