I created a .dbf file and saved it to a network share on our file server (Server 2008 r2) today and got an error when I tried opening it. I created a different .dbf file a few days ago and saved it to the same network share and had no trouble opening it then. When I tried opening that same file today, it also gave me the same error.
One thing I noticed was that the files had long names. So I tried shortening the filenames and they opened up just fine.
I'm guessing it's got something to do with '8dot3namecreation'. So I queried 'disable8dot3' and saw that the current value was set to '2'. But the problem is that I don't think it was set to '2' before today. Is it safe to disable '8dot3namecreation'? I don't think we have any legacy software that uses short names, but I'm not 100% sure.
Also, I think our file server is synced to our primary server (Server 2012 r2). So I don't know if disabling 8dot3 on the file server would reflect on the primary server.
Just a quick background. Our file server used to be our primary but we added a new server to replace it. We migrated the DHCP and AD to the new one and left the File Services Role activated on the old one. The new one also has the File Services Role activated, and has the 8dot3 set to '2'. We never changed the 8dot3 on the new one and maybe the old one replicated that setting today, that's why I'm having trouble with long filenames.
I can provide more info if necessary. Please advise.