We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Emails going to junk folder from internal users

Last Modified: 2018-09-10
I have a user in a network that has an Exchange 2010 server and the user himself is using Outlook 2010 for his email client.  He is having an issue with internal email going to the junk email folder.  I checked the headers of these messages, they have a -1 SCL rating, so they should be handled as safe emails from Outlook client.  I have tried just about everything which I will list here:
- Made registry key entry to disable junk email filtering
- Tried using rules and adding users to the safe senders list
- Set mailbox SCL threshold to 6 on the users mailbox
- Disabled plugins
- Ran repair on Office 2010
- Removed Office 2010, reinstalled it
- Removed it again, installed Office 2013
- Tried logging into another computer as the user, same issue happens
- Connect using Microsoft Exchange over HTTP is enabled
I do notice that emails initially go to the inbox, then are moved over into the Junk email folder a few seconds later. I am at a total loss here and have tried everything I can think of, so if there is anything I have missed please let me know. Also this is just happening to one user in the organization, all other users are not having an issue. Also note the user is using an Iphone 4 for his mobile device. Thank you for your assistance!
Watch Question

timgreen7077Exchange Engineer
Distinguished Expert 2018

Sounds like a outlook rule is moving the mail to the junk folder. Make sure that there are no outlook rules. if there are any, I would disable them all just to see if that changes anything. Also go into OWA and make sure that there are no different rules showing in OWA also.
Saif ShaikhServer engineer

Check the safe sender and block sender list in Outlook. If the user is added in block sender list then, it will move mail to junk. Also take a backup of rules, delete all rules then try to send email.
Qlemo"Batchelor", Developer and EE Topic Advisor
Top Expert 2015

I would stop Outlook, then send an internal mail, and check in OWA (without having Outlook running) whether the mail is still moved. If not, it is Outlook doing that, otherwise it is Exchange.
MichelangeloSystem Administrator / Postmaster

Also consider  the mobile device: keep it offline while performing the test Qlemo suggested.
FOXActive Directory/Exchange Engineer
Top Expert 2015

,As mentioned- close outlook and have an internal user send him an email and view it in OWA and see if it goes to junkmail.  If not you know the issue is with the outlook client.

Other steps for trouble shooting
1. Open Exchange Management shell

Get-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration "emailaddressoftheuser"

next command to run if there are no emailaddresses in blocked senders and domains from above command

Get-InboxRule -Maibox "emailaddressoftheuser" | Select -ExpandProperty:Description

***MichelAngelo just brought up a good point***  If the mobile device is using the default email app example Samsung Email and recieving the mail in question make sure you check to see if there are any rules or spam settings in place
Distinguished Expert 2019

Did you check for any rules on the users iPhone? Try disconnecting the phone from the account and see if issues persist.


Thank you for the troubleshooting steps, I will proceed with these and will report what I find out, thank you!
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.