DHCP Problem

I am having issues with my DHCP server having BAD_ADDRESS entries for a large number of addresses.  The Unique ID ends to be the reverse of the IP address in hex form. I have Conflict detection attempts set to 2.  It is only happening on the Scope attached to the secured wireless.  It seems to be about one bad address per minute or so. I've looked at the event logs on that server that I can find and there aren't any that match the time for the Lease.  Any troubleshooting tips?
Earl WhittemoreAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Thomas UCommented:
Hi Earl

Could it be that there is another DHCP server on the secured wireless? (check that possibility on the wireless, by checking on a multiple computers where they got their IP adress.

 Whats the lease time of your DHCP?

Andy BartkiewiczNetwork AnalystCommented:
It sounds like you either have a routing loop in your network or a rogue DHCP server. You may also want to check the lease time but I don't think that would cause these sort of problems.
Earl WhittemoreAuthor Commented:
So, I checked 30 computers and all of them have the correct DHCP server listed in ipconfig /all.  Any other guesses? Or is there another way to find a rogue DHCP server?
Learn SQL Server Core 2016

This course will introduce you to SQL Server Core 2016, as well as teach you about SSMS, data tools, installation, server configuration, using Management Studio, and writing and executing queries.

Thomas UCommented:
hmm turn off the DHCP server you know, try connection to the Wifi, you should "not" get any IP. If so, one potential problem less.
Also have you checked the lease time in the DHCP, whats the lease time exactly?

Andy mentioned a routing loop. maybe he can go further with that to analyse.
Earl WhittemoreAuthor Commented:
The lease time for the problem scope is 8 days.  The other scopes have much shorter (Guest network is 90 minutes).  I turned off DHCP and it wouldn't connect (gave an APIPA address) I was wondering about the routing loop as well.
Thomas UCommented:
I'd recommend to turn down the lease time to 1-2 days first. then see what happens

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Earl WhittemoreAuthor Commented:
Changing the lease time to two says seems to have fixed it.  I haven't gotten a BAD_ADDRESS in the last three days.  Thank you both for your help.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.